Monday, July 7, 2008

A Reason for Everything

I've been thinking a lot about fate lately. Maybe fate isn't entirely the right word. Maybe faith is more like it. Faith that everything is going to work out exactly like it is supposed to. That there is a plan for each person and even when things are tough, you can take comfort knowing that this is the course your life was meant to take and that everything happens for a reason.

At church yesterday, the pastor spoke about sensationalism and "doom and gloom." Basically, that when you believe that "the economy will never survive" or that "the next generation of adults are worthless," then you are ignoring faith. You aren't believing that things are as they were meant to be and that God has a plan for everything. It's comforting to me to think of things faithfully. My life might feel like it is spinning out of control, but there is someone who knows why. God planned for this. He knows what is going on and He meant for it to happen. I meet people every day who reaffirm this for me. People who say exactly what they were meant to say. Be exactly where they were supposed to be. Come into my life exactly when they were supposed to enter.

I just had a friend send me a text message a few days ago saying, "Life works in weird ways. I tell you I get amazed daily about life and how we are brought together. Just remember everything happens for a reason. Hold that beautiful head up." (The last part I think she HAS to say, because she is the one who does my hair and makes me beautiful, but moving on...) It was honestly like she could read my mind and knew what I had been thinking. I needed her to say that. I needed her to reaffirm what I knew...that everything does happen for a reason. Is it random? I think not. I have been praying like crazy lately, trying to straighten things out in my mind. Just like everything else, I know that God had his hands in this. At times when things seem the most out of control and I start to lose my faith is really when I need it the most.

This is not to say that I am just going to sit back and cruise through life expecting that God is going to fix everything I mess up. Or that it doesn't really matter what I decide to do because no matter if I do something or nothing, I will turn out the same way. This isn't how I feel at all. If anything, I feel more empowered by knowing that God has a plan for me. I feel comfortable saying things that I want to say and doing things that I want to do...taking chances really, on having a meaningful life. The little voice in my head, my gut instinct....I am listening to these. I do believe that this is God talking to me. I do believe that in these ways and others he is guiding me to my fate.

So, here I go. I am trusting. I am faithful. I am excited to experience what God has in store for me. Everything will be as it was meant to be.

No comments: